IRS Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return- Updated November 03, 2023 - 8.00 AM Admin, ExpressExtension
U.S. taxpayers are required to file Form 1040, a personal income tax return with the IRS.
If you find that need additional time to complete and file your tax return, you can request a federal tax extension by filing tax extension Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income
This article provides an overview of personal tax extension Form 4868.
What is the Purpose of Form 4868?
Personal Tax Extension Form 4868 is used by U.S. individual taxpayers to get an automatic extension of up to 6 months to file their personal income tax returns.
It is important to note that this IRS extension provides additional time only to file your personal tax returns, and you are still required to pay any taxes due on or before the original deadline.
In order to qualify for an extension, you must
- Estimate your 2023 tax liability using the information you
- Enter your total tax estimated liability on line 4 of Form 4868
- Pay that tax liability by the regular due date
Who can File Form 4868?
Form 4868 can be filed by U.S. individuals who need an extension for one of the following personal income tax returns
- Form 1040
- Form 1040-SR
- Form 1040-NR
- Form 1040-NR-EZ
- Form 1040-PR
- Form 1040-SS
- It can also be filed by Sole Proprietors and Single Member LLCs treated as Sole Proprietors (Disregarded entities).
When is the Deadline to File Form 4868?
The deadline to file personal tax extension Form 4868 is the same as the deadline for the tax return for which you request an extension.
For the 2023 tax year, the deadline to file Form 4868 is April 15, 2024.
What are the Special Considerations for Taxpayers out of the U.S.?
The IRS grants an extension of 2 months automatically to U.S. individuals who are out of the country at the time of the original deadline without having to file an extension Form 4868. This includes,
- U.S. citizens or residents who live outside of the U.S. or Puerto Rico and whose main place of work is outside the U.S. or Puerto Rico
- Individuals who are on duty in the military or naval service outside the U.S. or Puerto Rico.
How to fill out a tax extension form 4868?
- Part I - Identification - This part requires you to provide your basic details such as Name, SSN and Address. You may also be required to provide the basic details of your spouse if you are filing a joint return.
- Part II - Individual Income Tax - In this part, you are required to provide details regarding your taxes due for the corresponding
To learn how to complete your Form 4868, visit
How to File IRS Form 4868?
Form 4868 can be filed in two ways:
What are the options available for making the payment of
Electronic Payment Options
You can make a direct transfer of payment from your bank
- Direct Pay
- Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS)
- Credit or debit card.
Payment by Check or Money Order
The check or money order must be made payable to
"United States Treasury".
What are the Late Filing Penalties for Form 4868?
A late filing penalty is usually charged if you fail to file your personal tax return 1040 or not filing an extension form 4868 on or before
The penalty is generally 5% of the taxes due for each month or part of a month your 1040 return is late. The maximum
penalty is 25%.
- If your 1040 return is more than 60 days late, the minimum penalty is $450 or the balance of the tax due on your return, whichever
You might not owe the penalty if you provide a reasonable explanation for filing late by attaching a reason statement to your return. Don’t attach the statement to Form 4868.
Choose ExpressExtension to E-File your 4868 Form in Minutes
ExpressExtension is an IRS-authorized e-file provider that offers you an easy and secure way to e-file your personal tax extension form with the IRS. Our step-by-step filing process with clear guidance will help you easily e-file your Form 4868 with the IRS.
Under our Express Guarantee, you can receive an automatic refund of your filing fee if your 4868 filed with us got rejected by the IRS as a duplicate return. If your 4868 gets rejected for any other IRS errors, you can fix them and retransmit the return for Free.
Also, when you e-file your 1040 extension, you have the option to pay your taxes due via EFTPS or EFW.
Steps to E-File 1040 Extension Form 4868 with ExpressExtension
- Choose Form 7004 and Select the Extension type (Individual or Joint Filing)
- Enter Personal Details such as Name, Address, and SSN
- If you owe any taxes, Enter the payment details
- Review your form and make changes if required
- Transmit your Form 4868 to the IRS
See why our customers choose us year after year
ExpressExtension - The Smart Business Owners Choice
Easy navigation and the information from last year is saved into the system so that I don’t have to type it all in again.
User-Friendly and Fast!
The auto form. Love it! Your site is very user friendly and fast! One chore on my list made easy.
This was the first time that I used your service. The process was very easy and self-explanatory.
Quick and Easy!
Storing my info from past so the process is quick and easy and I did not have to look up anything in my records to complete.
User friendly, information regarding state extensions is readily available. I'm very appreciative that the site is resourceful.
Always an excellent experience, so easy to use and understand..very supportive and service oriented!
Very easy to use, clear instructions, phone numbers and social security numbers pre-fill with dashes in the right places. It all works just great. I did not use customer service or support.
Easiest way to manage filings!
This is absolutely the easiest way to manage tax filings for a small business. We have used Express Extension for 1099s and extensions, and it takes all the pressure out of the process.
Easy to Use
Convenient and easy to use. Also love the email and text features, Thorough process, Sound explanations for each stage (help texts), payment options and Dashboard.