The Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS) is a free service from the U.S.
Department of the Treasury.
All federal taxes can be paid using EFTPS. You can make payments via this Web site, a voice response system, or special channels designed for tax professionals, payroll services, and financial institutions.
Quick, secure, and accurate, EFTPS is available by phone or online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can schedule a business payment up to 120 days in advance or an individual payment up to 365 days in advance.
Here's how it works:
You can enroll online. To get started, you will need the following:
- Taxpayer Identification Number (your Employer Identification Number if you're enrolling as a business or your Social Security Number if you're enrolling as an individual).
- Banking account number and routing number.
- Address and name as they appear on your IRS tax documents.
Then, simply follow the instructions: In seven business days, you will receive your PIN in the mail.
Get your password by paper mail. After you receive your PIN, call 1.800.982.3526 to get a temporary Internet password.
- Make your payment. Go to www.eftps.gov and select "Make a Payment"
- Log in with your EIN/SSN, PIN, and Internet password. Enter the payment information in the step-by-step screens.
- When you're finished, save a copy of the Payment Confirmation page. This contains your EFT Acknowledgment Number that acts as a receipt for your payment instruction.
For any problems or to get the PIN Call Customer Service at 1.800.555.8778.