Avoid the hassle of e-filing your 1099 and 1095 forms in a rush before March 31, 2023!
Request an Extension Today.
How to file Form 15397 for the 2023 tax year?
Enter taxpayer details
Select, & fill out the extension Form 15397.
Review, download, & print your
What Information is Required to File Form 15397 Online?
- Tax Payer Details such as Name, TIN, and Address
- Type of Forms for which the extension is filed
Note: Make sure your information matches what the IRS has on record. You can verify your information with the IRS by calling 1-800-829-4933.
See why our customers choose us year after year
ExpressExtension - The Smart Business Owners Choice
Easy navigation and the information from last year is saved into the system so that I don’t have to type it all in again.
User-Friendly and Fast!
The auto form. Love it! Your site is very user friendly and fast! One chore on my list made easy.
This was the first time that I used your service. The process was very easy and self-explanatory.
Quick and Easy!
Storing my info from past so the process is quick and easy and I did not have to look up anything in my records to complete.
User friendly, information regarding state extensions is readily available. I'm very appreciative that the site is resourceful.
Always an excellent experience, so easy to use and understand..very supportive and service oriented!
Very easy to use, clear instructions, phone numbers and social security numbers pre-fill with dashes in the right places. It all works just great. I did not use customer service or support.
Easiest way to manage filings!
This is absolutely the easiest way to manage tax filings for a small business. We have used Express Extension for 1099s and extensions, and it takes all the pressure out of the process.
Easy to Use
Convenient and easy to use. Also love the email and text features, Thorough process, Sound explanations for each stage (help texts), payment options and Dashboard.
Frequently Asked Questions about Form 15397
What is Form 15397?
Form 15397 is used by businesses to request an extension of up to 30 days to provide copies of your 1099, W2, ACA, 5498, and other information returns to recipients.
It is important to note that Form 15397 only extends the deadline for distributing the recipient copies and not the IRS filing deadline.
What are the forms whose deadlines I can extend using Form 15397?
The deadline to distribute the recipient copies of the following forms can be extended using Form 15397:
|List of Forms
|1097, 1098, 1099, 3921, 3922, W-2G
When is the due date to file Form 15397?
Form 15397 must be filed by the deadline for submitting the original recipient's copy of the applicable Information Statement. However, Form 15397 cannot be filed before January 1st.
For example, if you need to extend the deadline for recipient copies of your 1099-NEC, you must file Form 15937 by January 31, 2024.
When Can I file Form 15397?
According to IRS instructions, Extension Form 15397 can only be filed in the following situations:
- The applicant has experienced a catastrophic event in a federally declared disaster area, and as a result, the applicant is unable to resume operations, or the required records are no longer available.
- If a fire, accident, or natural disaster affects the declarant's operations,
- If the applicant's activities are affected by death, serious illness, or the unavoidable absence of the person responsible for filing the information declaration,
- The applicant was in its first year of business.
- The sender did not receive payment data for the recipient in a timely manner. Examples: Schedule K-1, Form 1042-S, or sick pay statement under Section 31.6051-3(a)(1). This makes it impossible to prepare accurate information for return. The applicant was in its first year of business.
Where do I send Form 15397?
You can fill out and fax the form to:
Get started with our sister product, TaxBandits, to complete and download Form 15397 in minutes!