Oklahoma State Tax Extensions: Business, Personal, Information and Nonprofit Tax Returns


Oklahoma state return cannot be completed before Federal return. If no additional tax is due then the extension for Oklahoma state is automatically granted on having automatic Federal extension. However, if you do not have Federal extension and if you owe additional tax to owe the state,then you must file Form 504.
The same form (Form 504) is used to pay your business extension also. You get an automatic extension on having federal extension if you don't owe any tax to the state. You must pay at least 90% of the tax to the state if you want to avail extension.

An extension of time to file your income tax return shall not be granted unless 90% of the tax liability is paid on or before the original due date of the return.

How I do get my state extension of time to file the return?

Since the Oklahoma return cannot be completed until the Federal return (Form 7004) is completed, the Oklahoma Tax Commission has administratively adopted the policy of honoring the automatic Federal extension, when no additional state tax is due, as an extension of time to file the Oklahoma return. When you file your Oklahoma return, simply enclose a copy of the Federal extension Form 7004.

When to file form 504?

You only need to use this form to apply for additional time to file your income tax return when you owe additional Oklahoma income tax or do not have a Federal extension. Also, Corporations, Partnerships, Estates and trusts need to use Form 504 when filing for additional time beyond that granted by the Federal extension. When you file your Oklahoma return, enclose a copy of the Oklahoma Extension.

Is there a Penalty involved if I don't pay in time?

Yes.You cannot get an extension of time to pay your income tax , but only to file your return. Delinquent penalty of 5% may be charged, if at least 90% of your total tax liability has not been paid by the original due date. Delinquent interest, at the rate of 1.25% per month, may be charged if 100% of your tax liability is not paid by the original due date of the return.


  • An extension cannot be granted for more than one-half the accounting period covered by the individual, partnership, estate or trust return (i.e. 6 month extension for a 12 month tax year). In the case of a corporate return, an extension may not exceed a total of 7 months.
  • Applications for extensions of time must be postmarked on or before the due date for filing the income tax return, or before the expiration of the automatic Federal extension.
  • An automatic extension, without request, is granted to members of the active military service serving outside the United States or confined to a hospital. Such extension is granted to the 15th day of the third month following their return to the United States, or their release from a hospital.
  • This application may not be used to request an extension of time for the payment of tax. Interest will be charged at the rate of 1.25% per month from the original due date of the return until paid.
  • If husband and wife file separate returns, each must file application for an extension.
  • Attorneys or agents for the tax-payer must prepare separate applications for each extension requested.
  • Any extension granted is pursuant to the provisions of 68 Oklahoma Statute Section 216.
  • Cut Form 504 along the dotted line and submit the top portion of the Application for Extension of Time to File an Oklahoma Income Tax Return, with payment if applicable.

Payment Options

Check or Money Order
Enclose a Check or Money Order along with the completed form.

Mail to:
Oklahoma Tax Commission
Income Tax
PO Box 26890
Oklahoma City, OK 73126-0890

Pay by Credit Card:
Oklahoma extension payments can be made via credit card at the Oklahoma website www.oktax.state.ok.us. Click the "Payment Options" link. If you pay by credit card, you will not need to file any other forms at this time.

Why should I use ExpressExtension?

ExpressExtension has an experienced and competent team to meet all your individual and business tax solutions.We provide a complete and easy solution to all your tax needs.
Start Filing Now

We support only federal tax extension forms.