Can I file the 4868 extension even If I don't pay tax?

Yes. But remember that form 4868 extends your time to file your individual tax return and NOT the time to pay taxes on your income. IRS would charge penalties and interest for the tax due. This could be avoided if you have reasonable cause for not paying. You are accepted to have reasonable cause for not paying if 90% of your tax due are paid (within the deadline for filing) through withholdings, estimated tax payments, payments made with form 4868 , and, the remaining 10% is paid while filing the return.

Related Questions

What is IRS form 4868?

When is the deadline for filing my personal tax extension?

Who can file Form 4868?

Where to mail paper-form 4868 to file extension for 1040 ?

How do I apply for a personal income tax extension?

Last modified 12 Apr 2018 05:04

Are you ready to file your Tax Extension?

X

E-file 2017 IRS Tax Extension Forms 7004, 4868, 8868, & 8809 in minutes.