Income Tax Extension

An IRS Income Tax Extension can be filed by any individual, business, or exempt organization needing additional time to file their Federal Income Tax Return. A Tax Extension can extend the filing deadline by up to 6 months depending on the specific type of tax extension that is filed.
Anyone can file an Income Tax Extension with the IRS.

  • A Personal Tax Extension can be filed with IRS Form 4868 for Individuals, 1099 Contractors, Sole Proprietors, and Single Member LLCs to get a 6 month extension of time to file
  • A Business Tax Extension can be filed with IRS Form 7004 for Multi Member LLCs, C-Corporations, S-Corporations, Partnerships, Trusts, and Estates, to name a few
  • A Exempt Organizations Tax Extension can be filed with IRS Form 8868 for Exempt Organizations

The Deadline to File an Income Tax Extension depends on which form you need to file.

  • The deadline for most Corporate tax returns(Form 7004) is March 15.
  • The deadline for Personal Tax returns(Form 4868) is April 18.
  • For Exempt Organizations(Form 8868), the traditional Filing deadline is May 15th.

The biggest difference between e-Filing and Paper Filing is IRS Acknowledgement. When a Tax Extension is e-Filed through, you will receive an acknowledgement of the IRS acceptance or rejection of your extension. If your request is denied, you will be notified of the reason it was rejected. This gives you an opportunity to correct the errors & resubmit for no additional costs through

Typically it takes just a few minutes for the IRS to electronically process your form.

The process is not as simple when you file by paper. Paper Filings are at the mercy of the post office, and once it is received by the IRS there is nothing to let you know if it has been accepted or even received by IRS.